Marriage License Requirements
Both parties must be present when applying for a marriage license and each must present one of the following forms of identification:
·       Valid government issued photo driver license issued in the United States; or
·       Valid federal or state photo identification card; or
·       Valid government issued Passport or Consular photo ID
·       (birth certificates or green cards are not accepted)
If either person was previously married, the manner in which the last marriage ended and the exact date the marriage ended (month, day and year) are required. Copies of the death certificate, final decree of divorce, annulment or blood test are not required. You do not have to be a resident of Florida to apply.
If either person is a Florida resident, a mandatory 3 day waiting period applies. The license’s “Effective Date” will be 3 calendar days after the “Issue Date”. The bridal party will not be able to marry until on, or after the “Effective Date”. The license will expire 60 days after the issue date.
If my bride/groom and I are both Florida residents, do we have to take a 4 hour premarital preparation course?
Florida law (f.s. 741.01) requires all Florida residents to either take a four (4) hour premarital preparation course given by an authorized course provider or wait three (3) days from the date of issuance for the license to become effective. Additionally, Florida law requires the course provider to be registered in our county in order for the three (3) day waiting period to be waived and for the bridal couple to be eligible for the discounted license fee. A Certificate of Course Completion must be presented at time of application.
Who can provide the four (4) hour premarital preparation course?
f.s. 741.0305 prescribes the following to be qualifying course providers:
1. A psychologist licensed under chapter 490.
2. A clinical social worker licensed under chapter 491.
3. A marriage and family therapist licensed under chapter 491.
4. A mental health counselor licensed under chapter 491.
5. An official representative of a religious institution which is recognized under s.
6. Any other provider designated by a judicial circuit, including, but not limited to,
school counselors who are certified to offer such courses.
The qualifying course provider must be registered in our county in order to be eligible for waiver of the three (3) day waiting period and discounted license fee.
If my bride/groom and I are both non-Florida residents, is there a waiting period for the issuance of the license?
No. If both the bride and groom are non-Florida residents, there is no waiting period for the license to become effective.
Are blood tests and physical exams required?
No. The law requiring these tests was repealed October 1, 1986.
Must I apply for a marriage license in the county where I live?
No, a marriage license may be applied for and solemnized in any Florida county.
How long is a marriage license valid once it is issued?
The marriage must be solemnized within sixty (60) days of issuance of the marriage license. The ceremony may be performed anywhere within the State of Florida.
Who may perform marriage ceremonies?
·       A regularly ordained minister or other ordained clergy;
·       Elders in communion with some church;
·       All judicial officers (judges) of the State of Florida;
·       Clerks of Circuit Court and their deputies of the State of Florida; and
·       Notaries Public of the State of Florida.
·       In addition, the law provides that marriages may be performed among "Quakers" or "Friends," in the manner and form used or practiced in their societies.
Note: Boat Captains are not authorized to perform marriage ceremonies in the State of Florida unless they are otherwise qualified as provided above. Marriage ceremonies must take place within Florida’s boundaries (within 3 geographical miles of the coastline).
Who is a "regularly ordained minister"?
He/she is a minister who has been recognized in the manner required by the regulations of the respective denomination to perform marriage ceremonies.
We’re from out-of-state, and we want to bring our regularly ordained minister with us to perform the ceremony in Florida. May we do this?
May I use my Florida Marriage License to have my marriage solemnized in another state?
No. Florida Marriage Licenses are only valid within the state boundaries.
Do I have to be a Florida resident or a U.S. citizen to obtain a Marriage License?
No. The parties must present valid government issued photo ID, such as driver license from their state or a passport from their country. Valid consular ID cards are also accepted.
Do I have to provide my social security number?
If you are a U.S. citizen, or have been issued a social security number, you must provide it at time of application (f.s. 741.04). Use of this number through this requirement shall be limited to the purpose of administration of the Department of Revenue Title IV-D program. It is sent to the Florida Department of Health, Office of Vital Statistics as part of your marriage record.

Returning the Completed Marriage License to the Clerk:
A marriage cannot be officially recorded until the original license is returned to the Clerk. It should be returned within ten days after the ceremony. We recommend the license be returned in person, or send it by Certified or Express mail. As this is an original, irreplaceable document until it is recorded, we discourage using regular mail.
Upon receipt of the original completed license, a certified copy will be mailed to the mailing address provided at time of application. Bridal parties who return the original license in person will receive their certified copy while they wait.
What if I need more than 1 certified copy of my marriage certificate?
One certified copy is provided as part of the marriage application fee. If you need to purchase additional certified copies, the cost is $3.00 per certified copy.
Can I be married in the Clerk's Office?
Yes. Deputy Clerks are authorized and available during normal working hours to solemnize marriages at the counter. The fee for this service as set by Florida Statute is $30.00. If you would like a deputy clerk to perform your ceremony, please arrive in our office by no later than 4:30 pm. As our office space is limited, and we perform many services apart from marriage ceremonies, please limit the number of guests to as few as possible. If you wish to have guests, we recommend you contact and make arrangements with a minister or Florida Notary Public to perform your ceremony. Local Notaries Public are usually listed in the printed and online telephone directories.
What is the fee for a marriage license?
Click Here for Marriage License Fees
What forms of payment does the Clerk accept?
In Okaloosa County, we accept:
·       Cash
·       Money order
·       Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express. Please note, a surcharge applies for all credit card transactions
Changing your name after your wedding:
If your marriage means a change in name and/or address, remember to make the following important notifications:
1.      Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, Division of Drivers License.
2.      Social Security office -You are required to notify them after your ceremony.
3.      Your voter's registration office.
4.      Military Reserve commanding officer.
5.      Beneficiaries: Members of your family are probably named as beneficiaries or joint owners on many of these documents (bank accounts, insurance policies, employment benefits, etc.) and you may wish to make your spouse the new beneficiary or joint owner.
My spouse and I would like to renew our vows. Do we need a marriage license for this?
No. Talk to your clergyman, chaplain, or religious advisor or personal counselor.
Can people obtain a license to marry partners of their own gender?
No. Florida law prohibits same sex marriage. f.s. 741.04 requires one applicant to be male and the other to be female.

Can a person marry someone to whom they are related?
Florida law prohibits marriage to anyone they are related to by 3 degrees of lineal consanguinity.
Okaloosa County Only:
Please complete the Kiosk information within 1 week of your arrival to our office. You are also required by Florida law to sign a statement attesting that you have read the Florida Family Law Handbook. A link to this handbook is also available within the Kiosk’s Disclaimer.
Where can I apply for a marriage license in Okaloosa County?
A marriage license may be obtained Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Clerk of Circuit Court's Office in either the Okaloosa County Courthouse, 101 E. James Lee Boulevard, Room 10, Crestview, FL or at the Okaloosa County Courthouse Annex, 1250 N. Eglin Parkway, Shalimar, FL.

 Okaloosa County Clerk of Court

Walton County Clerk of Court


Marriage License Information

Share on Social Media

Contact Judi at 850-499-7867  

Email  FB

Click here to fill out contact page: